[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 3 20:36:14 UTC 2011

On 11/03/2011 02:12 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/3/2011 14:09, Scott and Nicole Harris wrote:
>>> So, if you're trying to use the hack that prioritizes Live TV over
>>> recordings, you would create your capture cards in the opposite order
>>> you want them used for Live TV (i.e. with the
>>> least-preferred-for-Live-TV card created first and the
>>> most-preferred-for-Live-TV card created last). Then, you would go
>>> through and connect inputs in the order you want those inputs used for
>>> recordings and change the default of 2 virtual tuners to 4 for each
>>> (digital/multirec-capable) input as you connect them. Then, when you've
>>> connected all the inputs, you would go back in and change the 4 virtual
>>> tuners to 5 to create a "Live TV" tuner.
>> OK, I think I've got the grasp of it all, except for one thing.  Why do I want to change the default of 2 virtual tuners to 4 as I connect them?  What's wrong with leaving them at 2?
> It only allows you to record two things simultaneously on a single
> multiplex.  Other than that, absolutely nothing.

Yes, the number of virtual tuners is irrelevant in a properly-configured
MythTV system (i.e. with all virtual tuners for each physical tuner
grouped together).  It's only with the "prioritize Live TV over
recordings" hack that you really need to have a large number of virtual
tuners to start with before going back and adding one more.

Since your best bet is to no use the "prioritize Live TV over
recordings" hack--since you want the HDHR on OTA used for Live TV and,
primarily, only for Live TV--you can use any number of virtual tuners.

Mike