[mythtv-users] Hard Disk Prices -- What Happened?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 18:38:39 UTC 2011

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>  >  Does anyone have any information on the change?

>Somebody's cashing in on the tragedy in Thailand.

Not sure it's all people cashing in (though I'm sure some are), I
suspect there's an element of panic buying. It's the same when the TV
news reports that <insert disaster> is going to cause acute shortages
of <something> - and they urge people not to panic buy. You can
guarantee that the next news bulletin will  show images of
shops/supermarket shelves stripped bare by panic buying.

Anyone knowing that they'd be wanting drives in the near future has
probably snapped up what they think they'll need trying to beat the
price hikes.

My personal feeling is that we'll see the prices rise some more, and
then when things have settled down a bit (ie the panic buying is
done, and the speculators have decided they won't make any more
profit) they'll drop a bit but stay considerably higher than they
were until supplies catch up.

For some other articles :
http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=flooding

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/10/27/wd_flooded_factory/

And this one shows just how bad the flooding is - there's a photo of
Canon's factory
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15534614

I can't help thinking that "quite a few" senior managers are going to
be reconsidering the wisdom of so many tech industry players building
their factories on a flood plain :-/

As it happens, I'd just bought a new drive for my laptop before the
news broke :-)

On the downside, several customers at work have been talking to us
about server and/or storage projects. I don't think they'll be happy
about the price rises and it's possible that the projects will get
delayed or cancelled.

--
Simon Hobson