[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 3 18:42:33 UTC 2011

On 11/3/2011 14:25, Scott and Nicole Harris wrote:

>>> OK, I think I've got the grasp of it all, except for one thing. Why do I want to change the default of 2 virtual tuners to 4 as I connect them? What's wrong with leaving them at 2?
>> It only allows you to record two things simultaneously on a single
>> multiplex. Other than that, absolutely nothing.
> OK, just make sure I understood the connect then change to 4 virtuals part.  I deleted all capture cards.  I then added all my HDHRs in one at a time, leaving max recording set to 2, adding the OTA HDHR last.  I then went to Input Connections, connected HDHR Unit 1, TUner 0 to Source 1, then went back to Capture Cards and changed HDHR Unit 1, TUner 0's Max Recordings to 4.  I then went back to Input Connections and connected HDHR Unit 1, Tuner 1 to Source 1, then went back to Capture Cards and set HDHR Unit 1, Tuner 1 and set Max Recordings to 4.  And so on.  Is this what you meant?

No.  When you are recording, MythTV simply picks the first tuner out of
the list capable of recording the channel you scheduled.  Thus, the
ideal configuration for multirec orders all the tuners sequentially in
the database, so that MythTV automatically tries all in-use physical
tuners, before resorting to a fresh tuner.  The problem is that LiveTV
will follow the same order, choosing a virtual tuner on an in-use
physical tuner, locked to a specific multiplex.

The work around is that you configure your virtual tuners sequentially,
so multirec works as intended.  Then you add in one additional virtual
tuner each, and configure LiveTV to avoid conflicts, causing it to pull
sequentially from the bottom of the list down.  Recordings and LiveTV
thus both get the ordering that is best suited for their purposes.  The
issue becomes that if all your tuners are tied up with LiveTV, scheduled
recordings may fail.