[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Scott and Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Thu Nov 3 14:41:40 UTC 2011

> From: snharris99 at live.com
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:29:37 -0400
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change
>

> I have 3 HDHRs and 2 lineups (one for Comcast, and one for OTA) on my backend.  All HDHRs are assigned an additional virtual tuner for each physical tuner for a total of 12 "tuners".  Two if the HDHRs are assigned to the Comcast lineup and one is assigned to the OTA lineup.  All recordings are setup to use Comcast channels.  My tuners were entered as one tuner each, then I went back in afterwards to add the virtual tuners to get them "staggered".  They appear in the following order (as copied from Mythweb)...

Set erroneously, continuing on. The order is....
Encoder 1 [ HDHOMERUN : 101A12E3-0 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 2 [ HDHOMERUN : 101A12E3-1 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 3 [ HDHOMERUN : 1015BFAF-0 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 4 [ HDHOMERUN : 1015BFAF-1 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 5 [ HDHOMERUN : 1011F464-0 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 6 [ HDHOMERUN : 1011F464-1 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 7 [ HDHOMERUN : 101A12E3-0 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 8 [ HDHOMERUN : 101A12E3-1 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 9 [ HDHOMERUN : 1015BFAF-0 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 10 [ HDHOMERUN : 1015BFAF-1 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 11 [ HDHOMERUN : 1011F464-0 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Encoder 12 [ HDHOMERUN : 1011F464-1 ] is local on myth-backend and is not recording.
Where the 1015BFAF unit is the OTA HDHR.  The issue I have is when I have fewer recordings going than tuners (i.e. last night I had 2 things recording on the 4 available physical Comcast tuners) and I switch to LiveTV and I want to view a Comcast channel, it always picks a tuner that is in use so I am locked into the multiplex for that the tuner is using to record.  This is true if I start on a Comcast channel (it will start on that multiplex and not let me leave it) or if I start on an OTA channel and try to change to a Comcast channel (unless I pick a channel on the multiplex being used, it won't change channels), which obviously means it's going to have to switch inputs so why wouldn't it pick a free one?
Now, I know that I can use the menu, switch inputs and try to find a completely "free" one and then I should be able to change channels, however the WAF on that is about as high as adultery.  Can anyone provide me any tips, either tuner ordering, settings, etc to have Myth intelligently choose a free tuner when in Live TV?