[mythtv-users] The Heidi Game: Why TV stays on the sports program

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Nov 2 16:14:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 11:00 -0400, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Unburied from the CBS thread: the saga of the Heidi Game; the 1968 Jets/
> Raiders contest preempted in its last 2 minutes by a Timex-sponsored telecast
> of 'Heidi'.  *This* is why US network television never cuts away from the
> ballgame (except, occasionally, to another ballgame):
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

Yes, we all know about that and why the networks continue to
discriminate against the non-event-viewing crowd.  It doesn't make it
any more acceptable.

They want their cake and they want to eat it too.  They want to air that
football game that runs over 80% of the time and yet they want to start
it as late in the afternoon as they do and yet they want to schedule the
rest of the evening after what has clearly become too small a time slot
for the football game.

>From my perspective, that's unacceptable.  And yes, I know, I am not
going to get them to change (at least not all by myself).  I wonder what
the numbers of the viewing audience of that football game are compared
the combined audience of all of the other programs that follow and are
out of schedule are.  I really have no preconceived notions of how they
compare.

b.