[mythtv-users] Best way to transcode SD shows on HD channels

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:10:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> I think he means that it is standard definition content, upscaled and
> broadcast at high resolution (and consequently high bitrate), likely
> under-scanned with the VBI data visible in-frame.  He doesn't want to
> spend 2MB/s storing something that should have only been 250kB/s.

Yep, that's what I mean. An older series, Frasier, that's in SD
broadcast on an HD channel with HD commercials, etc.

When I used the high quality mythtv transcoding, I went from a 3 gig
half hour episode to a 800MB half hour.

Just tried Kris B's script and got it down to 250MB! Episode looks
good so far...if this is the case, I'm going to delete and allow
rerecord because as luck would have it, the reruns will be back to
episode 1 in about a week.