[mythtv-users] CBS sucks!

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Tue Nov 1 13:02:50 UTC 2011

On 11/01/11 00:27, blind_Pete wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

>> There is a guy in the Silicon Dust forums who claims that the CBS
>> affiliates are breaking FCC rules unless they accurately update
>> the EIT information when games run over.  See
>> http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11370
>> So maybe we just all need to lodge FCC complaints until the
>> EIT information is correct?
>
> Interesting.  Do you think that you could start a moral
> outrage about broadcasters flagrantly circumventing the
> V-chip and exposing the children to porn?

Hmm.. that's a good idea.  It would be nice to use the
"think of the children" argument for good & not evil.

> How bad is the EIT data in the US?  If the gridiron overran
> when would you find out about it?  Five minutes before the
> scheduled end?  Five minutes after the scheduled end?  Or
> do the current and next fields blindly reflect the original
> schedule?  I can think of different counter measures for
> each of those cases.

The last I checked the EIT data, they blindly followed the
original schedule.  Meanwhile, on-screen notifications are
telling us that they have no intent to keep to that
schedule, which is what got the gentleman in the SD Forum
thread so upset.

I plan to record the full transport stream of my local CBS
affiliate the next time they have a late game so that I
can pull out the EIT and see if they are still blindly
reflecting the original schedule.  Unfortunately, CBS
does not have the late game this week, so it will be
10 days or so until I can look..

BTW, it is interesting to note that when the have
just the early game, their schedule afterwards is
padded logically with a small assortment of "to be
announced" and "Paid programming" shows from 4pm
to 6pm.

Drew