[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Tue May 31 17:28:21 UTC 2011

@fluffkinuk at yahoo
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?user=21738;list=mythtv>

I think You have wrong picture of whole situation (or using wrong
paradigm for FOSS).

Let's (for example) look at Myth from product perspective.

As every product, also for myth, we can consider it's live cycle:
(1)idea->(2)design->)(3)development-(4)>productification->(5)marketing->(6)sell.
As it is FOSS - steeps 6 and 5 are probably not relevant.

I think You are frustrated because You are in situation when (4) plays
major role (as You are new user).
This is not strange that You feel pain. It is because of constant
compromise which myth devs are forced to take: how to split their scare
resources between: 1+2+3 or in 4.

This is classical issue of resources shortage. In such cases You always
have to take compromises. Compromises leading You to trade-offs. Your
frustration is result of such trade-off. But root cause of it is lack of
understanding whole situation.

You know - dev team is set of VERY talented ppl. It's really sad that
team is so small. Being so small they have to choose: should I do things
addressing more existing user base or rather help for new users.
Someone reading Your mail can get conclusion that myth development is
going  into wrong direction. This is plainly wrong conclusion - because
of Your lack of  understanding current situation.

Look, at it from economics utility point of view. Current direction
(where more effort is invested into 1+2+3 than into 4) is better (if not
the best)  choice  - as it addressing recurrently all existing user
base, instead of one time install process for users who are evaluating
(so their loyalty is initially low and fragile in type). BTW: When I
will be in their shoes - Your mail  + Your misunderstanding will tilt me
even more towards existing userbase.....

If You don't like economics - I can give You another argument. I think
ppl are working so hard on FOSS software because of passion & fun. As
You can guess - fan is in 1/2/3 but rather not in 4. So don't expect
somebody will do incredible things for free because of You as new user
want to have painless up-and-running. Counting on such is clear prove of
lack of empathy and demonstration of zero soft skills. I personally
REALLY appreciate that devs decided to share with me their incredible
work !

Funny this is that....when take look closer - You will see that devs do
A LOT for new users. Web based setup, build-in DB, uPNP for everything
that boots are just examples.

I get impression, You are in phase looking for right toll for given task.
I think best approach is to first look for product from
architecture/features perspective. Implementation is also important -
but productification should have much less priority/weight that You put.
I think You can start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages
Doing this in opposite way can lead You into situation where You will
meet sooner or latter a wall. You will choose easy to install system
which is doing: 1\fraction of things which You are expecting or 2\small
fraction of things which other systems can do for You....

Btw: If subject line of Your post is typo - forget this. If not - I
think You are doing self-mutilation. You are using irony but in reality
Your mail is only about Your mistake with correct understanding what
going on here. Doing such things also will not help You with support by
ppl on this mailing-list.

br

--

PIOTR ONISZCZUK
ALCATEL-LUCENT

This message is confidential and may contain privileged information.
for delivery of the message to them), you
may not copy or deliver this message to anyone or take any action in
reliance on it. If you have received
this e-mal in error, please delete it and notify the sender as soon as
possible.
Alcatel Lucent does not accept any liability for any harm that may be
caused to the recipient's system or data
by this message. Please carry out virus and other such checks as you
consider appropriate.