[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue May 31 12:24:44 UTC 2011

On 30 May 2011, at 12:50, Taylor Ralph wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:42 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Tried this a while ago, even with a C2DQuad at 2.4Ghz software h264 playback is marginal, occasional big pauses, different but no less annoying!
>>>
>>> Also how do you get reasonable quality de-interlacing without using vdpau? The software de-interlacers are all terrible!
>>>
>>> I tried with a work i7 2.8Ghz machine and software playback was ok but still can only get good picture quality when using vdpau rendering and de-interlacing at which point micro pauses re-appear.
>>>
>>> I'll have some time next week (if the Icelandic volcanoes will allow me to get home) to re-do these tests with 0.24.1 also with a local install rather than my nfs boot and report back.
>>
>> Replying to self to keep this all in context:
>>
>> GT430 was running very hot, added 80mm fan, now running cool to touch. This made no improvement, in fact playback has been much worse since, odd!
>>
>> Removed vdpauhqscaling from options, no discernible change. Now using vdpaustudio,vdpaubuffers=32,vdpaucolorspace=auto
>>

> You should be using "vdpaubuffersize=" not "vdpaubuffers=". Just
> wanted to make the clear in case someone tries to use that.

Sorry about that, can't cut n paste from the frontend in the lounge ;-) I do have the correct parameter.

Can now add that SD playback is smooth, haven't seen a glitch since hqscaling was removed, picture is pretty naff but I don't watch much SD any more, had to go digging for some to try this out.

Andre