[mythtv-users] Distributing jobs

Dura Zell dura-zell at dynamik.ddns.net
Sun May 29 06:53:53 UTC 2011

On 24.05.2011 17:28, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 09:28 AM, Tom Lichti wrote:
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Dura Zell wrote:
>>> Can the fileserver be the master backend without any capture cards? As
>>> far is I understand the docs (manual, wiki) the masterbackend has to
>>> have at least one capture card wich is not possible in my setup.
>>>
>>> Maybe I write something myself, kind of perl daemon:
>>>
>>> 1. transfer file to another machine
>>> 2. convert file on this other machine
>>> 3. check if mbe is online and
>>> 3. a) if so: transfer file back do mbe
>>> 3. b) if not: wait until it is and then transfer back to mbe
>>> 4. on mbe: replace file with the transcoded one as if the file has been
>>> transcoded locally
>>>
>>> While 1. could easily be done with a userjob and 2-3 are not much more
>>> complicated, I'm not sure about the last part, this needs some
>>> investigation by me. :)
>> I think there has been some work done to make the backend work without
>> a tuner, but I don't know what state it's in.
>
> You'll all know when MythTV supports running a master backend alone.  At
> that point, there will be separate binaries for mythmaster and
> mythrecorder (names may change).
>
>>    Could you setup a dummy
>> tuner than never gets used?
>>
>> I know you'd like to shut down the MBE, but is it absolutely
>> necessary? If not, then just use mythjobqueue on the file server. Your
>> solution seems cumbersome and complicated.
>
> Agreed.  The power usage required for a couple hours of running a master
> backend system each day while your master backend /and/ file server
> mythjobqueue host work on processing a few jobs isn't going to be
> significant.  And, if you have the CPU/IO performance on the file
> server, you can simply run mythjobqueue for a couple hours each day when
> you're normally also recording on the master backend--and, therefore,
> when the master backend needs to be booted, anyway.
>
> See, also, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Job_queue_idle.py , as you'll need
> to shut off mythjobqueue to allow the master backend to shut itself down
> when its idle.
>
> Mike

Hi

Sorry for the long delay, I was working late hours these days.

Currently I have the mbe wich has got a 80GB hdd. While the recordings
are saved on this local drive, I import my music and video files via nfs
from the fileserver wich has got plenty of diskspace. This suits my
needs perfectly, but sometimes, maybe once or twice per week, I record
something wich I want to archive in my "videos" directory.

I installed a script wich converts the mpg2 files to mkv-files (x264
video, mp3 audio) and copies the encoded file into my video-directory.
After that, the originating file can be auto-expired. (Please note that
this something different from mythtranscode, wich works fine for me but
doesnt have the option to produce the files I want and can't copy to
videos-driectory either). This encoding-process is painfully slow: For
testing I recorded 5 minutes of video, wich took almost half an hour to
encode. So, a complete Movie will take 10-15 hours to encode. This isn't
acceptable for me, so I decided to check if my fileserver can do the
encoding as the archived movies are stored there anyway.

I will give mythjobqueue a try, if the fileserver is fast enough, I'll
accept this. (I think up to 2 hours per 1hour of recording is fast
enough for my purpose).

Micha