[mythtv-users] MySQL remote access not possible

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Sat May 28 20:14:10 UTC 2011

On 05/28/2011 06:07 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 02:01 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> On 27 May 2011 22:59, Ramon Hofer<ramonhofer at bluewin.ch>  wrote:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install MythTV Backend on Debian Squeeze.
>>> After installing the base system with SSH access I install mysql-server.
>>> There's no problem. I can reboot and there's no error message.
>>>
>>> But when I simply change the bind-address to the system's IP address and
>>> then reboot I get an error message when mysqld should be started.
>> > From your syslog, it looks like networking is starting /after/ mysqld.
>> This is causing mysqld to fail to bind to the as-yet-unconfigured IP
>> address. When you restart mysqld, networking is up and mysqld can bind
>> successfully as the configured IP address has now been acquired.
>>
>> The second issue (logging in to the database from the command line)
>> seems to be due to incomplete mysql access permissions - not user
>> permissions to the files on disk, but rather the user access control
>> to the database. Read through:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO#Modifying_access_to_the_MySQL_database_for_multiple_systems
>>
>> and update your DB as necessary for your local network,
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nick
>>

> I tried the following without success:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install mysql-server
> Change the bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf to the physical address
> (192.168.1.6).
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart
>
> $ mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 98
> Server version: 5.1.49-3 (Debian)
>
> Copyright (c) 2000, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
> reserved.
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
> and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL v2
> license
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
> statement.
>
> mysql> CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS mythconverg;
> Query OK, 1 row affected, 1 warning (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at 192.168.1.6
> <mailto:mythtv at 192.168.1.6> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO
> mythtv at 192.168.1.6 <mailto:mythtv at 192.168.1.6> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
> utf8_general_ci;
> Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> exit
>

> I have no problem connecting via telnet on port 3306.
>
> But I can't login
>
> $ mysql -u mythtv -p -h 192.168.1.6
> [...]

I finally was able to resolve the problem with the help from the
mythtv-users IRC channel:

I had to change the bind-address to 0.0.0.0 and straighten
conflicting/extraneous permissions with phpmyadmin.
Now the mythtv users look as follows in phpmyadmin:

mythtv    %    Yes     ALL PRIVILEGES    Yes
mythtv    localhost    Yes     ALL PRIVILEGES    Yes

Cheers
Ramon