[mythtv-users] MySQL remote access not possible

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat May 28 00:01:10 UTC 2011

On 27 May 2011 22:59, Ramon Hofer <ramonhofer at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to install MythTV Backend on Debian Squeeze.
> After installing the base system with SSH access I install mysql-server.
> There's no problem. I can reboot and there's no error message.
>
> But when I simply change the bind-address to the system's IP address and
> then reboot I get an error message when mysqld should be started.

>From your syslog, it looks like networking is starting /after/ mysqld.
This is causing mysqld to fail to bind to the as-yet-unconfigured IP
address. When you restart mysqld, networking is up and mysqld can bind
successfully as the configured IP address has now been acquired.

The second issue (logging in to the database from the command line)
seems to be due to incomplete mysql access permissions - not user
permissions to the files on disk, but rather the user access control
to the database. Read through:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO#Modifying_access_to_the_MySQL_database_for_multiple_systems

and update your DB as necessary for your local network,

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott