[mythtv-users] Recent Drive Purchase from Newegg -- (10x WD2002FAEX-0)

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Fri May 27 21:45:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> We bought 10 of them from Newegg. They came in a white foam carrier half
> wrapped in bubble and then placed in a box with a little additional paper
> wadding **UPSIDE DOWN**.
>
> Not exactly what I would call stellar packing.
>
> 2 of 10 drives DOA.
>   * 1 spins up -- but never reports to the system.
>   * 1 spins up but smart reported 1140 reallocated sectors during raid
> build -- and was failed out

14 of these (
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DL003/dp/B004CCS266/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306532491&sr=8-1)
shipped direct from Amazon.

Packed in a MASSIVE box, each drive inside it's own box, held between
plastic carriers, inside an antistatic bag.

All drives passed complete R/W surface test, zero issues, zero drive fallout
in +6 months.

Color me impressed... any with lots of spare drive space. :)