[mythtv-users] Recent Drive Purchase from Newegg -- (10x WD2002FAEX-0)

James Fowler rootless at gmail.com
Thu May 26 17:49:08 UTC 2011

>From Newegg if you buy in lots of 5 or more they will be shipped in the same
foam cases used for 20 drives. These generally protect very well. Anything
less than 5 and now guarantees (though I have had 3 come before in the nice
foam bulk casing).

That said I have run most drives out there. The older WDEADS 2TB drives
still allow you to fix the TLER (they call it), while their 4k sector WDEARS
2TB drives do not.

I had good luck with Samsung until I had 4 of 5 drives from the same
manufacturing batch die within 12 hours of each other. That was bad. That
aside, they otherwise perform well and work fine with RAID controllers.
Looking in the hardforum.com forums (from HardOCP.com) there is lots of
great info from array builders.  Generally very serious array builders. Mine
is only 12TB right now. Still awaiting my SAS expander.

They appear to recommend the hitachi5k drives. I have 10 that I'm burning in
right now. The first one's that i've purchased since the deathstar/deskstar
incident. Since WD bought them I figured they must have something going for
them. Oh, those drives also have a 5 year warranty.

Any drive with a 5yr warranty is generally going to be more reliable because
the manufacturer thinks that it will be more reliable.

And that model hitachi (2TB) cost the same as the samsung and wd 2TB, but is
a little faster and has 2 more years of warranty support.

Good luck with your arrays.

James

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net>wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 08:12 +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 May 2011, Ben Kamen wrote:
> > I keep hearing reports of poor HDD packaging by Newegg; I'm amazed their
> > failure rates aren't totally killing their margins. If I lived in the US,
> > wouldn't buy my HDDs from Newegg based on these repeated reports.
>
> I've bought many drives from Newegg, and at least in recent memory
> they were all packed pretty well. Newegg is huge they probably sell
> more than all the UK tech companies put together, there are bound
> to be _some_ QC issues.
>
> -- Daniel

James Fowler/方志宇
santiago at myazcomputerguy.com