[mythtv-users] Software changes required when switching CPU from single-core to multi-core?

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu May 26 08:57:28 UTC 2011

Craig Huff wrote:

So new questions:
A) Any better way to defrag (for future reference, at least) than our
old trick _and_ painfully slow of dump entire FS somewhere else,
delete -R /video{|2|3}/*.*, and then restore from "somewhere else", be
that another disk or tape?

Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Craig.

I am using XFS on all my recording drives. XFS has a tool/command that can do defragmentation in place.

The limiting factor for defragmentation as I have understood it is that there needs to be enough free contigous space on the filesystem where each fragmented file can be copied to. I don't think this tool will move files around in order to create enough free contigous space.

I run this tool as a cron job every night, and in combination with an alloc size of 512 MB this seems to keep fragmentation quite low even if all drives are more or less full.

Jens