[mythtv-users] Recent Drive Purchase from Newegg -- (10x WD2002FAEX-0)

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu May 26 04:43:39 UTC 2011

This seems quite variable.  I've ordered circa 20 Samsung 2TB's from
NewEgg and was impressed at how well they were packaged--- individual
clamshells, each heavily bubble-wrapped, in individual white plastic
cardboard boxes, packed into an outer box so they wouldn't move.
(That was for 5x at a time.)  I believe one order had 5 put into the
sort of shipping container they use for 20, which is a rigid spaced
array that keeps the drives from colliding with each other, and then
packed in bubble wrap, or something like that.  I know that lots of
people have gotten very poor packaging from NewEgg, so I've been
watching that sort of thing.

It may also be which warehosue does the packing.  Mine was Edison, NJ.
What was yours?

P.S.  The only issue so far is one that -caught fire- just idling (no
I/O) with about 20 hours of runtime on it---left a small sooty smudge
just above the board on its enclosure, cooking a small IC on the board.
Everything else in the machine was totally unaffected (hence it wasn't
zapped by the power supply or whatever), and it went out on its own;
I smelled it from the next room but wasn't able to identify precisely
what had let out the magic smoke until I noticed the next day that the
drive was no longer responding.  Fortunately, I was still, ahem,
burning it in.