[mythtv-users] ALSA proc files and permissions

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Wed May 25 14:34:44 UTC 2011

On 25/05/2011 9:49 AM, Wayne Thomas wrote:
> Check that the user you are trying to run mythtv as is a member of the
> audio group.  You can check using the command "grep audio /etc/group".
>  If the user isn't listed, you've found your problem.  Add them to the
> group using the usermod command (i.e. "usermod -a -G audio username",
> replace username with the appropriate name).
>
> Ciao

FWIW, on my system everything under /proc/asound belongs to root:root,
therefore  making sure the user running mythtv was in the audio group
didn't help.  My personal solution was to add a command to a command the
local start up scripts to (a) change the ownership of that particular
file to root:audio, (b) chmod to 664 and (c) echo 192 into it.

Cheers,

Andrew.