[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode TRASHES file to 123KB when re-encoding with cut list

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 25 02:28:05 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 09:12 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> If you don't find it "fun" to fix mythtranscode, then why not just
> drop the functionality or warn the user? How demanding can that be?

OFFICIAL WARNING:

All users should enable the mythtv-setup (General) setting:

Save original files after transcoding (globally)
If enabled and the transcoder is active, the original files will be
renamed to .old once the transcoding is complete.

because failing to do so could result in losing a recording.  :)

> Such supersensitive attitudes displayed by the official development
> community certainly does nothing to encourage new users to contribute
> their time and effort to improving the code. But hey it's your
> project... you don't have to listen to any constructive
> criticism... and I can instead choose to invest my time in projects
> where the developer community is more welcoming and open...

We have 413 open tickets, right now.  If we disabled all the
functionality that doesn't work (and can result in loss of recordings,
etc.--which would include the backend because of all the things that can
cause it to crash or fail to record or ...), we wouldn't have a PVR left.

Unfortunately, those 413 tickets mean that we have a /lot/ of tickets
for each developer to handle.  And, when one of the more-active
developers spends his evening trying to triage /one/ ticket (where
triage means just getting the ticket properly filed in our bug tracker),
rather than getting to work on code for MythTV, it doesn't help us get
any closer to fixing those 413 open tickets.

We do appreciate input.  We just have a /lot/ of things that need
working on and only a few developers to work on them (especially since
several of the developers aren't active due to other commitments in
life).  So, having short tickets with to-the-point descriptions of the
problems, so that a developer who makes time to work on the issue can
read and understand quickly, allows us to spend more time fixing issues
rather than reading about them.

As far as what seems to be your primary concern--that you lost a
recording with the default settings--since there's a setting to allow
users to safely transcode without losing anything, even in the event of
a failure, this wouldn't fall under my definition of a critical issue
(if I were the developer who chose to work on it--see
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/wiki/TicketHowTo, "Please do not increase a
ticket's priority, severity, or milestone from the defaults. These
fields are for the person who is fixing the issue to decide. Don't
change these after the ticket's been filed, either - they'll likely just
get changed back.").  One could argue that the setting that saves
transcodings should be enabled by default, but it's not (and never has
been) because most users would never know to go back and clean up the
*.old files if they didn't explicitly enable a setting that leaves them,
and would, therefore, suffer from storage "leaks" (with unmanaged
multi-gigabyte files taking up their recording space, and causing
recordings to be expired early, thus causing a loss of recordings).
IMHO, though, anyone who uses mythtranscode should enable the setting to
save the original files when transcoding and clean up the *.old files
manually after verifying success.  (I have it enabled for the once in a
blue moon when I use mythtranscode.)

In the future, MythTV will be able to manage multiple files per
recording, and at that point, mythtranscode will never delete
recordings, and the original and the transcoded file will both exist as
a file related to the recording, where the user will see them both and
be able to verify a successful transcode and delete the original all
from inside MythTV.  Unfortunately, that change will require major
rework of a /lot/ of MythTV, so it won't happen quickly--especially
because of all the other things that need doing/bugs that need fixing,
too, and the limited time we have to work on MythTV in our "free" time.

So, that just leaves fixing mythtranscode to work on an nuv->nuv
transcode, which is what the ticket description now says.

Mike