[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray Drives and MythTV

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue May 24 16:50:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Will I be able to play rented Blu-Ray disks through MythTV?

Not easily.  With MythTV 0.24 you can't just pop in the disc and hit
play they way you can for a DVD.  It is possible to play them if
you're willing go to the command line or rip the content into
mythvideo first, but if you want to have full access to menus and
special content on a blu ray disc, at least today, you really need a
standalone hardware disc player or playstation or something like that.

> If not, (besides backups) what benefit would I receive by spending the extra
> money on a BD burner vs a DVD burner?

It's future proofing.  With each release BD support has been improving
dramatically.  Also, if you want to rip BD content to use in
MythVideo, it's great.  My kids like to watch the same stuff over and
over again and having the blu-ray drive is really nice for that.  Once
the content is in MythVideo it can be played easily.

Eric