[mythtv-users] Is Btrfs a good choice for MythTV?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 23 21:06:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 04:07:02PM -0400, Dan Wilga wrote:
> On 5/20/11 3:46 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> >> Back to the original question :)

> >> Is Btrfs a good filesystem to use with MythTV?
> >>
> > Btrfs like zfs are good for eliminating the chance of corrupt data.
> > However I am not sure that is a necessity for anything in Mythtv. At
> > least if I lost a few bits in my data stream on a recording knocking
> > out a few frames it would not be the end of the world.
> >
> Having once recovered files from a disk with bad sectors, I can tell you
> that it's not very pleasant. Myth doesn't just skip over the missing

...I just treat my recordings as disposable and don't worry about it.

Sure it will on occasion suck quite a bit as I manage to lose a drive
and all of my recordings get wiped out. However, it's really not that
big of a deal.

[deletia]

   I am much more uptight about the stuff I've ripped into MythVideo.