[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon May 23 20:07:31 UTC 2011

On 11-05-23 11:42 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> If you want to prevent all the "random short pauses" that occur during
> playback, simply change your Playback Profile group such that you never
> use VDPAU decoding.  Use ffmpeg decode with VDPAU rendering, and all
> works well.  The only pauses you'll see is the at-recording-start/stop
> pauses (which is a completely separate and unrelated problem).
>
> Oh, also, I'm not using VDPAU deinterlacing, but I haven't tried whether
> use of VDPAU deinterlace causes the problems even when using ffmpeg
> decode (but if so, that would be very valuable information for helping
> track down the root cause).

Mmmm.. I use VDPAU here, on both a BIG box as well as an Ion2/Atom box.
Neither exhibits any kind of jerky playback.

But.. on the Ion2/Atom box, I do NOT enable vdpauhqscaling,
and I use the xfce desktop underneath rather than GNOME.

Switching either of those (using a GNOME desktop or enabling vdpauhqscaling)
results in poor playback.

This is all with Advanced/2X deinterlacing on 1080i content captured
from OTA ATSC sources.

Cheers