[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 23 18:23:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> wrote:
>> On 5/23/2011 13:30, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> > My understanding of the HDHR Prime is that when installed with a cable
>> > card, it will refuse to send CCI 0x02 programs to a MythTV backend
>> > even if the channel is not encrypted and it could have done so if the
>> > cable card had been removed and it had been configured as a standard
>> > HDHR.  This is making me rethink the idea that I don't need to have a
>> > standard HDHR if I have a Prime.
>>
>> That is correct.  Even if a show is broadcast unencrypted, if it is not
>> copy-freely, the tuner will refuse to send it to MythTV.  There have
>> been issues in the past where exactly this happened.  CableCard users on
>> Windows MCE were disrupted mid-recording where their provider
>> accidentally enabled copy protection on a broadcast channel.
>>

>> http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/115/p/93511/504120.aspx?PageIndex=1
>
> Eek, that's awful. I assume that this is mandated by the CableCard folks, so
> SiliconDust isn't allowed to test encrypted-ness (yeah, I know)? They're
> forced to just respect the flags?

"you mean our customers will also have to buy one of our standard
HDHomeRun models for un-encrypted content?!"...

I don't see this as being a huge deal breaker. The dual tuner
HDHomeRun's have dropped quite a bit in price, and with content in the
clear you can also tune multiple channels on a single frequency. the
downside is the need for two power supplies and two ethernet ports on
your switch.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!