[mythtv-users] VDPAU decoding pauses/vdpaubuffersize filter (was Re: Playback problem -- random short pauses)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:55:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2011 12:42 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Also, it's possible that specifying videobuffersize=32 in the filter
>>> section of the VDPAU-decode playback profile may work around the VDPAU
>>> video buffer starvation issue (#2), but that may "undo" all the changes
>>> that have allowed use of VDPAU on low-memory video cards (like 256MB
>>> cards)--you'll likely need a 512MB or greater card.  We're still testing
>>> this, and would appreciate users providing feedback about whether it
>>> helps or not.  This may be why you're not seeing the VDPAU issues, Paul
>>> (so please let us know if you have specified videobuffersize or other
>>> filters).
>> Mike, Thank you for clearing these up for us, it's comforting to know
>> the issues are at least known by the dev's, and from the sounds of it
>> the reasons for the issues as well.
>>
>> The big question we as users have at this point is whether these are
>> concerns that are on the minds of the developers to be addressed? We
>> understand the time frame is open.
>
> Yes.  Even we developers don't like random short pauses during playback.  :)
>
> The right people are working on it--and spending a /lot/ of time on it.
> Lurk in #mythtv in IRC and you'll see Taylor Ralph and Mark Kendall
> talking about and investigating it for hours each day (and working on
> both 0.24-fixes and master).

haha! excellent news! Until the parent thread it felt as though it was
a very select group of us with the issue. We await news on things to
test for them.

>> As for the videobuffersize question, I have various systems that
>> already have videobuffersize=32 set which has helped with playback of
>> some x264 content but seems not to eliminate issue 2). I will play
>> further with this. Is there a ticket or thread to report our findings
>
> There's now a thread for it.  :)  (And thanks for the feedback, Steve
> and Paul.)

Excellent as well. Is there anything specific we can test, other than
setting videobuffersize=32 to see how that affects our systems? Would,
for those of use with >512MB on our VDPAU capable cards, setting it to
a number larger than 32 help?

Again, thanks!

--
Steve