[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:17:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> On 11-05-23 08:08 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> Are any of the more involved Dev's other than JYA paying attention to
>> this? (this is a callout for them to answer).
>>
>> It's looking like this may be a major issue that many users, with
>> varying levels of hardware, are experiencing. I think it may be time
>> to  create a ticket for this issue, but it would be nice to have a dev
>> that can work with us in figuring out what's going on, and how exactly
>> to create a ticket that will lead to some debugging help from the
>> dev's for the users experiencing the problem to use to troubleshoot.
>>
>> the other end of all this is that it may be an issue that some of the
>> further tweaking that's been done for the next release has resolved
>> already. I'm wondering if anyone running off the latest git is
>> experiencing?
>

> I take it this is only (or is it primarily?) happening in trunk,
> and not in 0.24-fixes?  I only run the latter here (no pauses).
>
> What I would look for in the code, are sync(), fsync(),
> and fdatasync() calls.  Those generally force writes to happen
> and pause a lot of stuff to wait for them to complete in real-time.
>
> Which can lead to tiny pauses and glitches elsewhere.
>
> So just as a trial, perhaps grep through the code looking for those,
> and temporarily remove them, to see if the problem then goes away.
> That should prove/disprove this theory.

this is happening in 0.24-fixes for pretty much everyone, and looks to
have started with 0.24 as people who changed no hardware and upgraded
to 0.24 started experiencing the issue. I don't know if anyone using
trunk is having the issue. it also does not look like everyone has the
issue, and the severity varies as well. It also looks like it is also
only an issue with HD content.

I think I will create a wiki page to keep track of each persons
experience. A table with columns for specific issue notes, etc.

I think I may also need to temporarily upgrade to trunk to see if the
issue goes away. Hopefully trunk is not severely buggy...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!