[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:08:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
> On 23 May 2011, at 10:34, nospam312 wrote:
>> For me I started to experience this issue probably about a month ago
>> after I updated to the latest 0.24.0fixes (and all the other Linux
>> updates at the same time).
>
> Ive seen an improvement (less and smaller pauses) in the last two 0.24 updates from JYA's repo, I'm not certain that this improvement is update related as I changed some 1.5TB Samsung F2 drives for 2TB WD Green drives at the same time. I would have more diligent had I known there was going to be a playback improvement :-P
>
> As it was I swapped the drives, checked they were working, saw some updates were available, applied them, then a couple of days later noticed the improvement.
>
> The 1.5TB drives are already re-deployed so I can't really swap them back to see if the problem recurs.
>
> DB & OS is on a separate Seagate 7200rpm 500GB drive, DB is slow (lots of history so large) but doesn't seem to be a hog according to iotop. Has been mysqltuner.pl'ed. BE 5GB ram C2Dquad 2.4Ghz, 2xDVBT 2x DVBS2. FE 2GB ram C2D 1.8GHZ, GT430 gfx , 1xDVBS2 SBE and mostly h264 1080i HD.
>
> FE is netbooted, I now have a spare laptop hdd and plan to try a local hdd build to see if that affects it.
>

>> I had a working system until this time with no noticeable pauses in playback.
>
> The same system on 0.23 had no playback pauses but audio switched back and forth from DD to Stereo mid programme, upgrading to 0.24 fixed that but brought pau...so..vi.s...io..n along for the ride. All (ok 99%) pauses are playback only, rw & play again is clean.
>

>> I have just performed another Linux update (both Myth 0.24.1 and OS) I
>> will report back if things have improved.
>>
>> I am using dual core processor, VDPAU, 2GB ram, Mythbuntu and USB Tuners.

Are any of the more involved Dev's other than JYA paying attention to
this? (this is a callout for them to answer).

It's looking like this may be a major issue that many users, with
varying levels of hardware, are experiencing. I think it may be time
to  create a ticket for this issue, but it would be nice to have a dev
that can work with us in figuring out what's going on, and how exactly
to create a ticket that will lead to some debugging help from the
dev's for the users experiencing the problem to use to troubleshoot.

the other end of all this is that it may be an issue that some of the
further tweaking that's been done for the next release has resolved
already. I'm wondering if anyone running off the latest git is
experiencing?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!