[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Fluf fluffkinuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 20 12:59:48 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011 13:43, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
> >There's a lot of replies, trying to help, but not understanding the OP
> >point. I believe he's saying he has
> >
> >    Mplx A with ch 1 & 2, and Mplx B with ch 3 & 4
> >
> >from one transmitter, but from another transmitter he has
> >
> >    Mplx X with ch 2 & 4
> >
> >Mplx X doesn't provide any new channels, but it provides
> >for recording from ch 2 & 4 from only one tuner. I think
> >someone has already replies saying that MythTv wont
> >automatically take advantage of that, but it was a valid
> >point.
>
> That can happen **at the moment**. Once DSO is complete, then it will
> **not** be the case - there will be a standard set of channels/mux
> nationwide. There will still be the chance to get regional variations
> - eg BBC A may carry BBC2 NW from one Tx, and BBC Wales on another.
> Thus you may want to tune the BBC A mux from both if you have a
> desire to get BBC Wales programming.
>
> Based on my observations while we were going through the hassle ...
> Until DSO is complete, they tend to stick use a different lineup. As
> I think I mentioned earlier, they may (for example) put the five main
> channels on one mux for local repeaters - in our region they replaced
> BBC2 analogue with one mux about a month before analogue switch off.
>
> As I said. It's a bit of a dogs dinner.
I think a chunk of my difficulties came from starting with an
omnidirectional aerial in an overlap zone.
I can get Mendip, Wenvoe and parts of Stockland Hill. All down the same
wire.
Stockland Hill and Mendip though both seem to have muxs broadcasting at much
lower strength than the other muxs they carry.
So I started from a mix of my best reception channels being from different
transmitters. (I didn't know or care, I just wanted the frequencies I knew
should work to actually get picked up).
Amongst other things, this means my reciever will pick up Stockland Hill
first if you start at the low frequencies and work up. Unfortunately, though
I get a couple of Stockland muxs at good strength, the rest is terrible.
Once myth's tuner hits Stockland, it find the other muxs related and fills
in the channels anyway, making adding the other transmitters a real PITA.
For the moment I've given up trying to add the others because I've finally
managed to get Mendip (though in theory I could add all of Wenvoe as a
backup for muxs going down).