[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri May 20 08:09:48 UTC 2011

On 19/05/2011 18:02, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 19/05/11 16:33, Fluf wrote:
>> I think what I'm saying is .. in my situation, the myth-setup program really
>> doesn't make it easy at all to configure and be sure you know what it's
>> doing in the background. I know what I want to achieve, and it seems
>> reasonable to me to be able to use the signals from the transmitters I can
>> get ... I just have a cludgy tool that I don't really trust to try and do it
>> with.
>>
> Erm, no. If you are talking about *digital* TV, then you likely get almost *all*
> of the available channels. It's nothing like analogue, where you got the BBC
> channels from one transmitter and the ITV ones from another. *All* channels are
> transmitted from one location by the same aerial.
>
> The only reasons you might want to have more than one aerial pointed in
> different directions are: (i) you want to get the local news/weather from more
> than one region or (ii) you're near the English/Welsh/Scottish border and want
> both options. Of course, if you do that you'll need at least one tuner per aerial.

There's a lot of replies, trying to help, but not understanding the OP
point. I believe he's saying he has

   Mplx A with ch 1 & 2, and Mplx B with ch 3 & 4

from one transmitter, but from another transmitter he has

   Mplx X with ch 2 & 4

Mplx X doesn't provide any new channels, but it provides
for recording from ch 2 & 4 from only one tuner. I think
someone has already replies saying that MythTv wont
automatically take advantage of that, but it was a valid
point.

Cheers,
	Paul.