[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Fluf fluffkinuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 17:10:29 UTC 2011

On 19 May 2011 17:16, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> I've been following this with a smile :-)
>
> Myth will do what you are suspecting it will, schedule different shows on
> different muxes, it certainly does on Satellite where every region is
> available. However it doesn't exhaustively try all combinations to get a
> "best fit" schedule making the fullest use of the muxes you have available!
> It's more of a "first fit" in that it will generally schedule a show on the
> first mux it finds it on, of course you can then give it a nudge and cause a
> better reschedule. Finding an ideal schedule it a very difficult problem to
> solve and myth scheduling is already very complex dealing with multiple
> sources and schedule data that can change almost continuously and taking
> into account whether episodes have already been seen 5 years ago.
>
> <snip>

> Of course your different mux combinations on different transmitters is
> likely a temporary arrangement, by the middle of next year the whole country
> will be converted and the muxes will all be the same mix of channels even
> from different transmitters.
>
> As I understand provided the channels that are equivalent have the same
> name and same number ("bbc one london" & "bbc one wales" must both be called
> "bbc one")they will be treated as interchangeable by the scheduler and if
> they have the same channel number will only appear once in the listings.
> Whichever one has the lowest channel number in the lowest numbered source on
> the lowest numbered tuner is likely to be chosen first so you will have to
> try some variations to see what works best with the shows you watch. That
> should keep you occupied almost until the switchover is complete!

Ok fair enough! So a "pick the best muxes" strategy rather than just bung em
all in might save time.
I do like the idea of frequency utopia :P at the moment it's a real dogs
dinner.
And thanks for the tips on naming / numbering. Armed with that and the
earlier tip on deleting the entire source to clear the tables and try again
... I might get somewhere!

There is a huge "book" on the scheduler operation wrt priorities for
> channels, tuners, sources, show priorities and the daytime temperature in
> Wagga Wagga, maybe that would be a good place to start reading.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html

Included for truthiness.

> > Which brings me back to wondering about dvblast or something else as an
> input to myth.
>
> You may still be limited by Myth's scheduler and myth is already seriously
> complicated adding another layer of complexity sounds like a bad place to
> start. I've tried all of the alternatives to Myth and the one thing that
> brings me back is the scheduling, it's not perfect but I think it's the best
> currently available. After a few years it's almost impossible to change to
> something else due to the huge history of previous recordings it knows
> about.
>
> I'll try and kick myth in to shape before I go to desperate measures like
streaming into myth, you're right, it probably is a layer best avoided. I'd
need 7 streaming servers, all sharing the same dvb card, and politely
handing over to each other. Shudder.