[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Fluf fluffkinuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 15:00:55 UTC 2011

Hiya and thanks for the reply!

On 19 May 2011 15:39, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> On 19/05/11 14:17, Fluf wrote:
> >
> > I seem to be banging my head against a Myth brick wall.
> > Easy huh?
> >
> > All I want to do is ... Tell it the 7 good freqs. Scan the 7 good freqs.
> Use
> > all of the good program feeds from the 7 good freqs. IE. Have 2 x Film4
> both
> > pointing at Film4. One from each mux. Yet this seems impossible using
> > mythtv-setup and I can't begin to fathom what the database should look
> like
> > for that configuration.
> >
> > So. VDR? Freevo? Or use dvblast or some other external streamer to Myth
> that
> > I can actually control? Because I'm about to give up on Mythtv's tuner
> > entirely as a joke.
> >
> Nope. If you have 7 then you're doing something wrong, *six* multiplexes
> covers
> every need until 2012. (In fact, five are in use in most places as they
> shuffle
> things round to reserve one for HD TV.)
>
> Go to this website: Http://www.ukfree.tv/
>
> On the right hand side, put in your postcode. That will bring up a list of
> transmitters you should be able to receive. In practice, you might be able
> receive more, but they will be weaker than those shown.
>
> Now click on the one your aerial points at[1], and you should get a list of
> the
> multiplexes, channels served and frequencies. NOTE ALL DOWN. This is your
> master
> list for the future.
>
> Next step, in mythtv-setup, Delete All Sources. This should get rid of the
> thousands of entries you have in the database. *Delete All* is the only way
> clear down the table.
>
> Next step, manually enter each new transport (ie multiplex) into the
> transport
> editor and do a Single Scan. When it comes up with the popup box at the
> end,
> *always* answer ignore to the question, this refers to the results of any
> previous scans you have already done.
>
> You really don't need to have multiple instances of each channel. Amongst
> other
> things, this will just complicate scheduling. Myth is smart enough to do
> the
> right thing.
>
> [1] The highlighted one will be the strongest, but like me you might be the
> wrong side of a factory/hill/tower block...
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Hiya and thanks for the reply!

Sadly it's 7 I have that are known to work. I can't help being in an overlap
zone! And may as well use all that work.
To people going HUH?
In the UK, when DVB terrestrial was being rolled out, our minister of that
sort of stuff was on holiday.
So on one frequency (say 842), I might have Film4 and BBC1 amongst the mix
of channels. Great for recording both if they overlap. But on 794, I might
have Film4 and Dave, but no BBC1. So on the night Dave overlaps with that
good film, I want to be using 794. Other channels I only get one of, so I'm
tied to that set of channels for those recordings + overlaps, but I still
need that frequency to get those one or two extra channels.
I don't think any of the 7 good strength frequencies I get contain an exact
copy of any of the others!!! I'll check though! O.o

I've been to www.ukfree.tv and it does provide a pretty good list, the 7 out
of 11 I've narrowed it down to is from using a standard freeview set top box
from the same aerial, so I know the 4 bad really are bad, and the 7 good
really are good.

I'll try the delete all sources!!! Fantastic tip ta!!!

And it's not a directional aerial. Omnidirectional? Seems to work though!
See above to why I do want the same channel on different mux's.

Or am I missing how Myth does this entirely? Does it only care about the mux
frequency and figure out the channels when it gets there? ... Erm .. I sort
of doubt it. It needs to know the callsigns for each channel on every mux
it's on doesn't it?