[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:00:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 5/18/2011 12:07 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
>> On 05/18/2011 09:17 AM, jr wrote:
>>> It looks like the HDHR Prime will be wonderful for those of us with
>>> access to copy freely broadcasts.  I am on Time-Warner in the Triad of
>>> NC, so I am probably out of luck in that regard, but would like to
>>> know for sure. I currently have a cable box (hooked up to an HDPVR and
>>> controlled via IR).  Is there a quick and dirty method by which I can
>>> discover the list of copy freely channels?  Or is the flag set on a
>>> show by show basis?
>> Eric Sharkey posted the following to the list on 5/2. It should answer
>> your question IF you've got a Motorola box. It worked as claimed on my
>> DCH3200. It also worked via the remote control, FWIW.
>>
>>> If you have a Motorola based STB you can enter diagnostic mode
>>> (usually by pushing the power button to turn the box off, then pushing
>>> select or ok on the front panel a couple of times within two seconds
>>> of pushing the power button).  That will bring up a menu.  Option "d06
>>> Current Channel Status" will show information about the current
>>> channel, including the copy control information "CCI" which will have
>>> hexadecimal values which can be interpreted as described here:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
>>
> Would the scanfw application that is online show this information as
> well?  I currently have a Motorola STB with an HD-PVR, mainly because
> 90% of what I record can only come from the STB.  Only a few shows are
> available on my HDHR.  If I could get some of those shows via the Prime,
> I'd order one in a heartbeat.

in a round-about way yes.

What can be odd though, is what I'm experiencing with the setup I
built for my parents. They have TW and their cable box shows copy
freely for most all the same stations I show with Comcast, but the box
basically will not allow them over firewire. the OTA it will, but the
others are next to impossible to get to transfer over firewire. every
so often I would luck out.

I don't know if that means one shouldn't trust scanfw or shouldn't
trust the diagnostic screen, but I'd say your best bet with TW may be
to just try the Prime with a cable card to see if it works or not.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!