[mythtv-users] Possible tiny mythfrontend?

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Wed May 18 16:58:58 UTC 2011

On 18 May 2011, at 03:27 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> On 5/18/2011 07:35, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>> I know this will probably be shut down but in a perfect world :)
>>
>> http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/25-computer-is.php
>
> Until such time as MythTV supports whatever video decoder exists on that
> chip, it will be useless.  At such time as the video decoder is
> supported by MythTV, it will still be useless because mythfrontend will
> not be useful at 1080p resolution and only 128MB of memory.

All sadly true :(

Is there not a case for someone to write "mythfrontend-lite"?

A cut down version of mythfrontend that could run on low spec hardware like this ( assuming it has a useable hardware HD video decoder ) that simply presents a list of recorded programs and allows the user to pick one and play it. Along with seek control and advert skip, etc. I.e. Just the features you need to watch recordings ( and maybe basic live tv - oh dear I'm getting carried away already! ), so no plugins, no scheduling, no tv guide, etc.

Would be nice for secondary frontends in bedrooms or kitchens or study's. Of course you would probably still want to have at least one of your frontends running a fully fledged mythfrontend, or have access to mythweb.

Just a thought :-)
Robert.