[mythtv-users] Questions on configuration

Grymoire mythtv at grymoire.com
Wed May 18 11:54:51 UTC 2011

I have some questions about my hardware selection. I'm not sure I have
selected the best combination.

I'll ask the questions up here, and provide details below.

		1. What is a good choice for a hybrid tuner?
		2. Do I need a graphics card if I use the LGA1156
		   integrated Intel graphics?
		3. If I need a graphics card, is the NVIDIA GT430
		   a good choice?
		4. Is the EVGA GT430 compatible with the NVIDIA
		   product of the same name?
		5. Which video driver do I use? NVidia Proprietary? (Released or
		   developers?) Open Source?  Do I need anything else? OpenGL?
		   3d? Xwindows extensions?
		5. Does the monitor matter?  Does it need any
		   special features? DGA, Overlay? I was getting errors when
		   I tried to watch TV.
		6. Is there an easier way to debug the backend if I
		   cannot watch LiveTV on the front end?
		7. How do I swtich MythTV from using a DVI monitor to a HDMI monitor?
		8. How can I debug the scanning process in MythTV?
		   Can I do this on the command line?

Now the details: You can snip this part in the reply.  I bought new
hardware to replace a MythTV box that died. I've been struggling
getting Mythtv running for weeks. I can return some newly purchased
hardware if it's the wrong choice (Thanks, Amazon!). So I'm looking on
feedback on the hardware selection, and I have questions on the
software configuration.

I want MythTV for US Analog cable with some digital channels (no settop
box). The primary use will be as a backend server, but I was using the
frontend to test that things are working, and so far no luck in
getting the frontend to watch liveTv in MythTV.

I can use tvtime with the 950Q, but LiveTV in MythTV does not work.
I struggled with scanning to find the right channels with and without MythTV.
I looked at DVBSCAN, SCAN, W_SCAN, etc. I found this part frustrating,
and I don't understand how MythTV does it, and if it's working right.

Hardware - I started with a
  Motherboard: Asus P7H57D-M EVO
  CPU: Intel Core i3-550
  OS: Ubuntu 11.04 with Mythbuntu added.
  Kernel: 2.6.38-8-server

I added
	Graphics: EVGA GT430 - I ordered this because it was a bestseller with a rebate
    Hardware:
		Hauppauge pvr-950Q - So far uncuccessfull
		Hauppauge pvr-1255 - Just returned - wasn't wortking.
		Hauppauge pvr-1600 - Just shipped
    Monitor: Cheap! Gateway FPD1775. COnnected with a DVI cable.
             Xorg.0.log says it does not support NVIDIA 3D.

In the future, I plan to plug this into our HDTV (Sony Bravia).
I ordered a 25-ft HDMI cable.

I just returned the PVR1255 ( I ordered a 1250 which is supported, and
		got a 1255, which according to
		http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge,
		isn't supported.

The 950Q isn't working, because of the lack of v4l1 support in MythBuntu
The PVR-1600 seesm to be a better choice. It was just shipped.

Any suggestions?