[mythtv-users] Best VDPAU card for under $50

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Sun May 15 17:31:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:

>  I'm investigating choppy audio/sudio sync issues on new (used box, new to
> me) front-end and I suspect my video card isn't keeping up.  I would like to
> get a VDPAU video card, ideally one without fan (passive cooling only).
>
> First, what is the best one I can get that meets these criteria?
>
> Second, what is the cheapest one I can get that meet these criteria?  (That
> won't be obsoleted/unsupported shortly)
>
> Thanks!

Just last week I purchased this card for $50 after mail-in rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162067

I've been using MythTV since version 0.13, and this is the first video card
I've ever purchased that wasn't passively cooled.  I was concerned about fan
noise, but this card is very quiet.  In fact, I think my system is quieter
 with the new card since my CPU is idle so the CPU fan RPM's are lower.
 Even when watching 1080i content with the advanced 2x deinterlacing, the
GPU temp never gets above about 42C, so the video card fan only spins at 50%
speed.