[mythtv-users] Scheduler question

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Sat May 14 20:28:01 UTC 2011

I'm trying to streamline my scheduled recordings list, and make it
more efficient. In doing so I came across a couple of question that I
can't seem to find the answer to. Firstly, when you set a recording as
'Record at any time on channel xxxx', it appears to use the channel
ID, and not the call-sign. Is that a correct assumption? So even if I
have 5 channels that match the call sign, it will only try and record
on the channel I originally selected?

For instance, I have the following channels:

mysql> select chanid,channum,callsign from channel where callsign = 'CBLT';
+--------+---------+----------+
| chanid | channum | callsign |
+--------+---------+----------+
|   1051 | 514     | CBLT     |
|   2006 | 6       | CBLT     |
|   3006 | 6       | CBLT     |
|   3128 | 128     | CBLT     |
|   3514 | 514     | CBLT     |
+--------+---------+----------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

and the following schedule:

mysql> select title,chanid from record where title like 'Coronation%';
+-------------------+--------+
| title             | chanid |
+-------------------+--------+
| Coronation Street |   1051 |
+-------------------+--------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I take that to mean it will ONLY record on the tuner that has chanid
1051 associated with it?  What I want is for it to record on any
channel with call-sign CBLT, but I've read here that 'record on any
channel' is very inefficient, so is my only option a power search? I
have a bunch of power rules to record by call-sign, but it doesn't
seem as efficient (my scheduler takes ~ 10 seconds to run), but if
that's the best way to get what I want, I'll keep using them.

Which leads to my second question, would it be more efficient from a
DB standpoint to have multiple 'program.title like XXX and
channel.callsign = XXX' rules, or try and combine them by call sign,
for example '(program.title = 'The Office' or program.title =
'Community' or program.title = 'Parks and Recreation' or program.title
like 'Late Night%') and channel.callsign = 'WGRZ'?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom