[mythtv-users] mythtv-users at mythtv.org

Glenn Callow gmcallow at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:33:05 UTC 2011

All,

I've also just been trying the 290e nanostick with the media-build script that Steve Kerrison linked to on his site.  I'm pretty surprised by how well it's all working.  At the moment, I've got the nanostick running on my combined backend/frontend (Fedora 14 with atrpms myth packages)  - been running very reliably since Thursday - all 4 HD channels are available, the quality is fantastic and it's essentially acting like any other tuner.

Few things to note:

- My combined frontend/backend is an Athlon 64X2 with an Nvidia G310 based card.  That's working fine - the CPU is downclocked to 1Ghz, but I'm still able to decode using Advanced 2x all the HD channels with only 10/15% load.

- EIT for Freeview HD does seem to be working - it's at least populated.  I do have other tuners for SD Freeview and it could be getting it from their.  However, I've set Freeview HD up as it's own source, and only included the T2 mux on that source.  I didn't think that cross-source EIT was supported, so that's a bonus.

- Playback is fine of all the HD channels.  I've got an occasional glitch with the some of the HD advertising between programmes on BBC HD only (the bits with penguins and polar bears).  The frame rate halves and the sound goes - it's happened a few times. Nothing major and a quick skip sorts it.

- Multi-rec on the T2 mux seems to be working fine (i've got two virtual tuners on the card).  Using a second mythfrontend (Ion based) is also working.

- Tuning seems a little slower than my other Freeview tuners, but nothing major (both the initial scan, and when in Live TV).  The driver has two frontends under /dev/dvb/adapter*/ - I'm using frontend0, and haven't tried the other.

The only problem I have so far is with a couple of recordings on the BBC HD channels - it appears something funny is happening with the audio tracks on the stream.  Basically something happens with the audio tracks on programme start.  The introduction to a programme will be fine, but the sound will disappear as soon as the programme starts.  With LiveTV you can just exit and start playing again and the sound returns, but I have had a couple of recordings where that doesn't work.

The problem also happens playing the recording file through VLC - you can fix it in VLC by swapping between the audio tracks (from normal to hearing impaired and back again).  That doesn't work under MythFrontend though.  I'll see if I can post a clip up shortly.

Regards

Glenn