[mythtv-users] MythVideo: Umlaut, special characters in filenames in storage groups - files invisible

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 09:52:14 UTC 2011

> From: barbex at gmail.com
> Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:13:23 +0200
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythVideo: Umlaut, special characters in filenames in storage groups - files invisible
>
> > $ ls /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF*
> > /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
> >
> > Notice the hyphen.  And, coupled with:
> >
> > $ ls /usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE*
> > /usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE  /usr/share/i18n/locales/de_DE at euro
> >
> > I know that I should use:
> >
> > export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
> >

> How weird, I just checked that again:
> master at digitus:~$ locale
> LANG=de_DE.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
> [...]
> LC_ALL=
>
> and:
> ls /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF*
> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
>
> So I added export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8 to /etc/init/mythtv-backend.config.
>
> It now looks like this:
> # MythTV Backend service
>
> description "MythTV Backend"
> author "Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>"
>
> export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
>
> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and started udev-finish)
> stop on starting shutdown
>
> #expect fork
> respawn
>
> exec /usr/bin/mythbackend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
> --user mythtv

The problem was solved for me with M. Dean's help. See my first post on this thread.

I use opensuse, and although I install the trunk version of myth, I kept the mythbackend script from the rpm package in /etc/init.d

In that script, I included ALL the following before the part that starts the backend:

export LANG=el_GR.UTF-8
export LC_CTYPE="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_NUMERIC="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_TIME="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_COLLATE="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_MONETARY="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_MESSAGES="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_PAPER="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_NAME="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_ADDRESS="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_TELEPHONE="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_IDENTIFICATION="el_GR.UTF-8"
export LC_ALL=el_GR.UTF-8

Maybe it's just the LC_ALL that does the trick, but I don't want to test it!