[mythtv-users] Jump to HD from PVR-150

Quinten Steenhuis qsteenhuis at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:55:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM, AGELATOS Athanasios <
Athanasios.Agelatos at intrasoft-intl.com> wrote:

> True, but better go the VDPAU way - you get a GT220 or better NVidia card
> and CPU does not matter anymore, even for 1080p sizes.

It's a good idea to use a VDPAU capable card, but I would also get a CPU
capable of playing HD without the benefits of hardware acceleration. There
will be some new future use that you will find for the extra CPU power
(flagging commercials, e.g.). The hardware is now pretty inexpensive. Get
something that can throttle itself based on actual demand, so it's not
running at full speed 24/7.