[mythtv-users] Jump to HD from PVR-150

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:48:05 UTC 2011

> I've enjoyed my Hauppauge PVR-150 for years.  I am now starting to get
> interested in an HD Tuner card.  I do not know much about what to look for.
>  I am in North America so NTSC or ATSC is important...I think.  Is the
> Hauppauge HVR-1600 the logical leap from the analog PVR-150 into a HD tuner?

The biggest problem will be encryption. Of the 100+ digital cable
channels I have with Comcast less than 20 are not encrypted. Since you
can not yet (there is in the works plans for limited support of cable
card tuners under linux) decrypt channels you need to capture the
encrypted channels using a cable box / dta and an analog (pvr-150) or
hd analog device ( hauppage hd-pvt). Some cable systems will broadcast
just the locals unencrypted, others will have everything but premium
unencrypted so its best to investigate what is going to be available
before you choose to purchase an HD tuner.

John