[mythtv-users] How do I get lirc to work in F14 >2.6.34.10-74 (using ir_kbd_i2c)

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Sat May 7 16:52:51 UTC 2011

Hi list,

I had some time this morning, so I thought I would tackle the project
of getting my lirc properly working with new kernels.  I was using
lirc_i2c, but I know that it is dead in current kernels, and if I want
to upgrade, I can't use it anymore.

I am a little confused on the procedure for upgrading.  I have read
relevant posts in the list and looked at the wiki, but feel I am
missing something.  I am using the ir receiver that came with my
PVR-350 and a Harmony One remote that mimics the MythTVKnoppMyth
remote in the Harmony database.

What I have done is this:

1) modprobe ir_kbd_i2c

2) Installed v4l-utils to get the ir-keytables package

3) Installed lirc-remotes

4) Ran ir-keytable to ensure a driver was loaded
[root at localhost modprobe.d]# ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event2) with:
        Driver ir-kbd-i2c, table rc-rc5-tv
        Supported protocols: RC-5
        Enabled protocols:
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 33 ms

5) Copied /usr/share/lirc-remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput to
/etc/lirc.conf (saving a backup of the prior lircd.conf)

6) cat /proc/bus/input/devices to determine what the /dev/input lirc
was using and found out it was event2 based on this:
H: Handlers=kbd event2

7) Edited /etc/sysconfig/lirc, which was an empty file to include the following:
LIRC_DRIVER=""
LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/event2"

8) Restarted lirc

9) Ran irw and entered keypresses.  I get nothing in the console.

This is where I am stuck.  I am guessing I am missing same (obvious)
step.  Any ideas?