[mythtv-users] failure to update database schema to 0.24

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat May 7 14:55:18 UTC 2011

On 05/07/2011 03:27 AM, UB40D wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> That says that you /have/ a MythVideo schema.  Please re-do:
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/407793#407793
>>
>> then try again--and keep the log file so you can post the log from right
>> after deleting your video schema (first MythVideo schema creation
>> attempt) if it fails.
> OK.
>> That's unimportant (and is a distro/system issue).  Deleting
>> ~/.ICEauthority will "fix" it (until whatever app broke it the first
>> time breaks it again).
> Very helpful!
>
>>   Generally, though, even broken, it won't affect
>> MythTV.
> It did in my case though: see below for the full details.
>
> OK, I tried all that again. SPOILER: apparently still nothing after
> issuing the mysql commands, but what eventually fixed it was deleting
> .ICEauthority. Long story follows:
>
> Pasting the code in the terminal didn't work: it kept on waiting for
> input even after the EOF

That's because your copy/paste (because you copied from the archive,
which HTML-"corrupts" it) included a space after the EOF, so you never
sent an EOF alone on the line.

>   and, if I gave it a ^D after that, it
> complained about that too. So I connected to the database manually and
> pasted the commands at the mysql prompt. This worked.

Yeah, that works, too.

> After that I launched mythfrontend. This didn't work.
> So in summary the mysql cure was fine, but the other error about
> .ICEauthority was preventing mythfrontend from showing me its gui and
> therefore completing the conversion

That makes sense.

>   (note BTW that, without the gui,
> after a while it would exit by itself, even if I didn't press
> anything). Your suggestion of deleting that file allowed the
> mythfrontend to continue and thus fix things.
>
> I no longer get the warning about the missing themeinfo.xml file, but
> the frontend works fine. I guess it's because I must be using another
> theme. I wonder why it was complaining about it before and not now,
> because themeinfo.xml is still missing in those particular
> directories.
>
> I see a bunch of other errors in the log, including many instances of
> "Application asked to unregister timer 0x0 which is not registered in
> this thread. Fix application." that I can't understand, as well as a
> bunch of "PlaybackBoxHelper Error: CHECK_AVAILABILITY 'xxxx.mpg' file
> not found", which must be what happens when you get a failed recording
> and then you have a listing in the directory but no file to watch. But
> at least now the frontend starts up and I can control the box and
> watch movies, so broadly speaking it's fixed!

Check out http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/find_orphans.py for cleaning out
your DB.  The timer stuff can't be fixed without changing code (and has
been fixed in the latest 0.24-fixes and unstable)--but is really just a
warning, so not important.  Still, you should upgrade to the latest
0.24-fixes when available through your packager.

Mike