[mythtv-users] HD Resolutions

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:19:27 UTC 2011

On 5 May 2011 11:59, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 5 May 2011, at 10:52, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
>
>> simple question, which is better: 1080i or 720p
>
> Is there ever a simple question? ;-)
>
> 720p (at 50 or 60 frames a second) is better for sports due to the higher frame rate.
>
> 1080p (at 24, 25 or 30 frames a second) is better for movies and drama shot at those low frame rates.
>
> It's not easy (currently possible) for a studio and broadcast playout center to change formats from show to show so 1080i is commonly chosen as a compromise between the two.

I read something a while ago that discussed the rollout of HD in the
UK, and an argument supporting the choice of 1080i (all 60 HD channels
currently use this format) was that the increase in spatial resolution
going from 576i to 720p was not large enough when compared to the jump
to 1080i (bigger numbers obviously sell better), irrespective of the
decrease in temporal resolution that may make certain programming more
enjoyable to watch in 720p.

Cheers,
Nick

--