[mythtv-users] failure to update database schema to 0.24

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 5 16:26:48 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 03:23 AM, UB40D wrote:
> After a distribution upgrade to mythbuntu 11.04 the frontend no
> longer starts. The cause I managed to diagnose is that the
> upgrade of the database to the format used by mythtv 0.24 has
> failed. By searching the list I found this thread
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/473689#473689
> from March 2011 confirming that this other thread
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/407793#407793
> from November 2009 "is still considered the solution for the
> video tables causing a database update to fail". Sensing that I
> might be in a similar situation, I tried the same recipe but it
> still didn't fix it for me yet. Perhaps my database update
> failure is not caused by the video tables. What else should I
> try?
>
> Here is what happens when I start the frontend from the command
> line, with verbose logging to a file, asking it to upgrade the
> database.
>
> ~$ mythfrontend -v "important,general" -l mfe-log.txt -u
> 2011-05-05 08:01:31.092 mythfrontend version: fixes/0.24
> [v0.24-251-ga0bb5e9] www.mythtv.org
>
> And here is what ends up in the log:

> 2011-05-05 08:01:38.627 Current MythVideo Schema Version
> (mythvideo.DBSchemaVer): 1011
> 2011-05-05 08:01:38.628 MythVideo database schema is old. Waiting to
> see if DB is being upgraded.

That says that you /have/ a MythVideo schema.  Please re-do:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/407793#407793

then try again--and keep the log file so you can post the log from right
after deleting your video schema (first MythVideo schema creation
attempt) if it fails.

> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 25410, errno = 32
>
> I googled the mysterious message on the last line but got
> nowhere. I asked "ps guax" whether there was any process with pid
> 25410 but there wasn't (maybe it's the one who was "doing an
> exit()".

That's unimportant (and is a distro/system issue).  Deleting
~/.ICEauthority will "fix" it (until whatever app broke it the first
time breaks it again).  Generally, though, even broken, it won't affect
MythTV.

Mike