[mythtv-users] Asus AT3N7A-I

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed May 4 21:14:25 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 08:59 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 4 May 2011 02:26, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>   wrote:
>> Has anyone got any experience with the AT3N7A-I motherboard? This is an
>> Atom 330 dual core + NVidia ION mother board.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm having trouble get the NIC to work. It is a Realtek
>> RTL8112L which does not appear to have any available driver. I booted it
>> with an FC12 install, which may just be too old to have the correct
>> driver. The intention was to upgrade to F15 but the board is deaf.
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>    R.  Geoffrey Newbury
>
> Please post the output of "lspci -n" for that NIC.
>
> Larry

Well it turns out I was right. The chipset was too new for FC12. I
burned an F15 iso and it installed and recognized the NIC. Actually
lspci calls it an RTL8111....

Only the usual problems thereafter: things which have been changed
*just* a little. *Just* for giggles.
There are, it seems, FOUR different ways to configure a NIC in F15 with KDE.

One is the 'Network Device' item in the Administration tab of the
Kickstart....But there *is* no Admin tab, not even when root. So the
usual graphical thing, which I *thought* was called
system-config-network could not be found.

Two is system-config-network from the command line, which seems to work,
but I mistyped a DNS IP. And mis-read it when I checked!

Three is a KDE thingy which I found on the Taskbar. I tried it. It
didn't change what I had done with system-config-network. *NO* idea
about where it stored what I typed in.

Four is through System Settings. Again, *NO* idea about where it stores
stuff.

When back to system-config-network, realized my error and after a
service network restart, ping could talk to the outside world.

I guess there is actually a FIFTH method. I could use ifconfig.

What is really annoying is that these did not seem to write/over-write
the same data points.

Redundant efforts anyone??

Geoff

--