[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Wed May 4 19:46:14 UTC 2011

> Just to add a data point, I actually haven't had any major issue with
> my HD-PVR, I'm more interested in simply turning it off while not in
> use.  I did have a problem once.  It turned out that some loose cables
> in my closet had fallen and were restricting airflow to the HD-PVR
> (which has a fan pulling air across it most of the time).  I moved the
> cables and haven't had a problem since.  While many say that Windows
> users aren't experiencing the issues we have, I'm wondering if there
> isn't a subset of problems due solely to heat issues.

As another data point - I have two HD-PVRs and two backends - one is rock
solid, the other one is super flaky.  Here's the kicker though, it appears
that the issue is more with the backend hardware than with the HD-PVR.

If I swap which machine each HD-PVR is hooked up to, the same backend is
still rock-solid and the other one is still flaky.  The stable one is an
older AMD box, and the unstable one is a newer Intel box.  They're running
basically the same custom kernel (with a few different drivers for HD
controllers etc)

The conclusion that I'd come to is that the Intel chipset's USB drivers
weren't playing nicely with the HD-PVR, but I haven't had a chance to do
more digging on it beyond that.

Greg