[mythtv-users] manually adding clearqam channels?

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Wed May 4 14:16:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca>wrote:

> So, a few new channels have shown up on our clearqam cable service here.
>
> I am loathed to go through the rigmarole of doing a whole new channel
> scan though (has that gotten any easier with 0.25/trunk?).
>
> If on my television the channel shows up as "48-774" is there any way I
> can manually add that channel through the mythtv-setup channel editor?
>
> In the channel editor, when I choose to add a new channel, the first two
> pages are pretty straightforward.  It's the third page that I stumps me.
>  What do I enter in the "Frequency or Channel" box?  Will "48-774"
> actually work there?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

No. But I don't blame you for not wanting to go through another channel
scan. What I do in this situation is create an mplayer-compliant
channels.conf file containing only the new channels. See here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_Digital_Cable_Channels_(For_ATSC/QAM_Tuner_Cards_--_USA/Canada)#Scanning_for_channels

Then, once you have a channels.conf with only the new channels, import that
through the MythTV channel scanner. You can then go back and fine tune the
database by hand as necessary.