[mythtv-users] UK: managing Freeview and Freesat

mythtv . mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk
Wed May 4 12:15:45 UTC 2011

On 4 May 2011 13:10, Paul <thannet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Me too, me too.
>
> Glad to donate beer tokens or toilet paper :-)
>
> Paul
>
> On 3 May 2011, at 22:04, Mark Parsons wrote:
>

> > On 6 Apr 2011, at 14:42, Nick Morrott wrote:
> >

> >> Below is what I posted to the xmltv-dev list in March - the lack of a
> >> functioning bathroom at present has temporarily stopped my work on
> >> this in the past few weeks,
> >
> > <cue disturbing mental image of Nick only being able work on Myth stuff
> whilst sitting on the bog>
> >
> >> but I will pick it up again in the next
> >> week. My current work would seem to do almost everything everyone in
> >> the thread is after on a per-platform and per-postcode basis. It is
> >> yet to renumber one platform lineups to that of another (to allow easy
> >> mixing of multiple platforms on a single system), and leans toward
> >> aiding XMLTV configurations (it is part of the XMLTV lineups work),
> >> but it also allows matching of digital services by way of service ID.
> >>
> >> The overall idea for the lineups work is to allow configuration of
> >> XMLTV grabbers directly in MythTV via a series of simple
> >> question/answers to determine location, TV services and packages
> >> subscribed to.
> >>
> >> ----
> >

> > Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! This has been bugging me for ages, and
> after a recent delete-all-tuners-and-start-again, I've been mulling over
> ways to fudge this for my setup (DVB-S, DVB-S2 and dual DVB-T). I'd almost
> started building clone tables based on the channel lists I can see on my
> Foxsat HDR Freesat box, and on my Freeview TVs so that every time I rescan I
> can use SQL to match up the channels or something. Glad that I decided to
> poke around to see whether anyone else had solved the problem! :)
> >
> > To be honest, I was blown away with how easy (and quick!) it is to scan
> for satellite channels using the Humax - anything that can come anywhere
> closer to that kind of slickness (compared to where we are today) would be
> very welcome. Obviously all this work being discussed here doesn't get
> around the painful channel-scanning process, but ending up with a
> sensibly-ordered, consistently-named cross-source channel line up would be a
> *huge* step in the right direction.
> >
> > My coding skills are virtually negligible, and my SQL isn't anything to
> shout about. My DIY is a bit better, although I've not done any bathroom
> stuff before, so perhaps I can't safely help there either :p  Is there a
> 'Nick's Beer Fund' that I could contribute to which will help you along and
> demonstrate our support?
> >
> > Fingers crossed...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mark P.

Out of interest which DVB-S2 tuners do people use in the UK? I

 have a rock solid mythtv PVR that has been running for over a year on an
Acer Revo 3610 with two Hauppauge twin tuner USB sticks as my main PVR
(switchable between mythfrontend and XBMC via a PS3 remote). I did buy a
Tevii S660 DVB-S2 tuner (am limited to USB obviously) but didnt have a great
deal of success as the tuner locks up and the actual tuning of channels
seems to be a black art requiring divine intervention :-)

At the moment I have kind of put it to one side but it would be nice to get
the BBC HD channels going at some point

Martin