[mythtv-users] Help getting MythTV 0.24 working with a Pinnacle PCTV HD PCI card

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue May 3 18:48:43 UTC 2011

On 11-05-03 12:59 PM, WAYNE M wrote:

> I've got a setup as follows
> Gateway E4000 with 1.8Ghz P4, 256MB ram, Nvidia FX 5600, Pinnacle PCTV HD PCI
> card, etc.
> I have never had success with MythTV with this setup but with 0.24 it's closer
> than before and I'd really like to use MythTV if I can.
..

Your rambling post never did spell out exactly what you want.

If you are trying to get analog reception working with the PCTV card,
then my advice is "don't bother".  That card lacks a hardware encoder,
so Mythtv will have to do "software encoding".

That should work, but in practice I've found it rarely succeeds.
None of my "software" encoder devices work reliably with Mythtv.

Now, if you are after HD DTV reception with the PCTV card,
then.. congratulations: that card has an XC5000 tuner chip on it,
making it a stellar performer.

But it will need a more up-to-date kernel, to ensure it has the benefits
of the latest driver fixes and stuff.

I think 2.6.32 and later should be good, but I run 2.6.36 (and newer)
here for the XC5000 stuff.

Cheers