[mythtv-users] Window focus issue in welcome screen

francis3 francis3 at libero.it
Tue May 3 13:12:46 UTC 2011

* Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> [290411, 10:06]:

[...]
> OK, I realize that this response is a bit late--I had tagged your first
> message "Later", but didn't get to it before you found a workaround.

No problem at all. I really appreciate your response!

> FWIW, using RatPoison as a Window Manager is a great solution.

Good to know that! :-)
I didn't know this lightweight window manager.
I found a suggestion for it in this list archives.
I think it's really perfect for use with mythtv.

> If you really want to use Fluxbox, you can make it work, but it's
> challenging.  Current Fluxbox supports "true" full-screen windows as
> specified by the Extended Window Manager Hints specification (windows
> with the hint _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN), and since MythTV is now using a
> real full-screen window (i.e. it's now setting the WM hint, and not just
> making a window with the same dimensions as the screen), Fluxbox's
> handling of MythTV windows has changed.  When Fluxbox sees this hint, it
> assumes that full screen implies maximized and, therefore, the window
> should be on top, above the dock (so you don't see the dock on top of
> your MythTV window).  It seems that when you have multiple full-screen
> apps, it may not order them properly within that layer.  So, you should
> be able to fix the issue by using the apps file to specify different
> layers for the different fullscreen windows you use (to make sure
> mythfrontend is always on top of mythwelcome, but that mplayer or xine
> is always on top of mythfrontend or whatever).  Note, also, that even
> though there are "named" layers (accessible through the Fluxbox menu),
> there are also additional (numbered-only) layers available.
>
> Configuring the apps file is left as an exercise to the reader...  ;)
> http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title=Editing_the_apps_file

Thank you, Mike for your extensive answer, really helpful.
Gonna give it a try as soon as I can.

best regards,
f.

--
francis3  - GnuPG Key ID = 05A867E6
Key fingerprint = 2622 A58F DAE3 034B 986A  B456 FC80 DD7F 05A8 67E6