[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon May 2 21:05:26 UTC 2011

On 5/2/2011 16:49, Greg wrote:
> On 05/02/2011 12:39 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Greg<greg12866 at nycap.rr.com>   wrote:
>>
>>>    It would be nice if the  HDHR-P would work under Linux,but  I think
>>> you are going find there is going too be a lot of disappointed people..
>>> Here in Northern NY,the only channels that are in the clear are the
>>> locals...
>> Just to be clear, are you positive you are talking about cablecard
>> copy restrictions, and not just encryption? Channels that are
>> encrypted and marked copy-freely will work perfectly fine in myth with
>> a HDHR-prime, but will NOT be viewable with a QAM tuner. I haven't
>> seen many reports from people anywhere saying that their cablecard
>> setups aren't marked copy-freely for the non-premium channels, so I
>> just want to make sure you aren't mixed up on the
>> technology/terminology.
> I Just got done with putting my STB (Samsung smt-3260) in the diagnostic
> mode. It allows you to check each channel.. My report is locals and a
> few shopping channels report as copy freely,the rest are reported as
> copy once,even the test bar channel is copy once..... I don't know if
> the HDPVR-P will handle copy once.. If I understand copy once
> correctly,you should be able to record to a PC and play your recording
> on that PC only...I could live with that...

The HDHR-P will handle 'copy once' and 'copy never' content just fine.
It requires the receiving program to be certified by CableLabs, and
authorized to access that content.  MythTV is neither of those, and so
the HDHR-P will only send it the DRM-free 'copy freely' content.  The
only application capable of receiving such content from the HDHR-P will
be WMC Vista and 7.