[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime up for pre-order at Amazon

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon May 2 17:45:33 UTC 2011

On 5/2/2011 13:31, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net
> <mailto:ron at ronfrazier.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Raymond Wagner
>     <raymond at wagnerrp.com <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>     > These copy protection flags are the same ones that restrict users
>     > presently recording shows over firewire.
>
>     I don't believe that is correct. I am pretty sure that Firewire's
>     Digital Transmission Content Protection and Cablecard's Copy Control
>     Information schemes are separate schemes that don't necessarily match
>     up. If you have a cablecard-based cable box, then it could possibly
>     generate the firewire setup based on what cablecard CCI flags are set
>     (not sure if that would depend on the cable company's implementation,
>     or the way the cable box is designed). However, I don't think that is
>     guaranteed to be true. My understanding is that it is possible to have
>     firewire restricted while cablecard is copy-freely, or vice versa. How
>     often that happens, I have no idea.
>

> I think that 5C, CCI, and DTCP are all the same thing.  They all apply
> to Firewire and CableCard.  The confusion may arise from the fact
> that multiple acronyms are used to refer to the same thing and it was
> originally only in place for Firewire.

They are all the same flags.  The confusion arises from the fact that
firewire can be used to positively indicate a channel will be available,
but not to negatively indicate a channel will not be available.  Since
the copy freely content is uncontrolled, there is no specification on
how a 5C device should behave with such material.  Some cable box
firmwares will still require the 5C handshake that MythTV is incapable
of performing, resulting in a copy-freely show being unrecordable.